Sunday, December 14, 2014

Nov. 24, 2014

If you are you are connected to me on Facebook, you will have seen my post about my day with Tulip. We went to a dog park while waiting for my car to be serviced. There were lots of dogs there and she got to run with them and let off some of her bountiful energy. Watching her is a thing of beauty. She runs like a race horse and out ran every dog there, including a whippet. People who were there wondered if she was part Greyhound, but I was assured by two different vets, that she was a pure bred Dane. 
I was curious. I had always heard that Danes were big couch potatoes. Did they really run and if so how fast? I Googled the question. Apparently they were bred to run as they were bred to be hunting dogs. A healthy Great Dane should be able to run from 35 to 40 mph! I also found a video that showed a Dane that looks a lot like mine running next to a vehicle at an easy 30 mph!  
I drew two versions of this dog running that I could pick out from this video to study the form of the dog as it ran. 



No comments:

Post a Comment