Monday, February 2, 2015

January 29, 2015

1-29-15

After yesterday's ketch of a bear and reminiscences of my bear encounters, I was also thinking of all of the backpacking and camping trips that I've gone on.

One of our favorite destinations was Kings Canyon National Park, just below Sequoia National Park.

We liked to go camping there because it was not as crowded as Sequoia or Yosemite parks. Kings Canyon is in it's own canyon and has a road separate from the one to Sequoia to get to it. A beautiful river runs through the canyon. My husband, an avid fisherman, loved to stop and fish for rainbow trout while I explored the shoreline to identify plants and sketch them. On one of his fishing excursions, he had bent down to pick something up and his pipe slipped out of his shirt pocket and into the water. It was gone! With the current and depth of the water, it was quickly carried down stream. He was devastated. It was his favorite, a beautiful, ebony bowl and stem, covered in a sterling silver filigree. It was a gift from me for his birthday. I tried to find another one like it, but It was awhile ago that I had bought it and I never could find one like it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment