Monday, February 2, 2015

January 16, 2015



1-16-15
It was overcast and in some areas drizzly. I got outside, in the back yard and noticed all of the weeds beginning to sprout everywhere. I love the look of things growing early in the season, even the weeds. They opportunistically pop up where ever there is a bit of bare soil, carpeting along the fence and in between tones or in potted plants. I love their overall texture of various shapes and shades of green. Some of these weeds are edible and some medically beneficial.A couple of years ago I found some Prunella vulgaris (known as common self-heal or heal-all) and transplanted it into a pot. Within a short time, it had invaded most of it's neighboring pots. I had to pull most of it out, but used some of it in a tea.

This early in the season, self-heal does not bloom and is still a little dormant, but I did find this pretty little Carolina geranium. This plant doesn't have much benefit, that I know of. I spent some time pulling it and some grasses that were happily growing along the fence. They are all pretty now, but it is much easier to pull them out now while the roots haven't had a chance to get a good hold of the ground. Soon they will all grow tall and coarse and will refuse to be pulled out! Lots more to do now out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment