Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Photoshop Painting First Attempt

This is my first, pitiful attempt at painting in Photoshop. The figure is terrible, so stiff and over-worked. I worked from a photo that was placed in a layer, rather than just sketching from photo, which might have been better. Working on the figure first was another mistake, because it does not go with the rest of the background. I over worked the figure to make it work with the background. I actually like the background better. It looks more spontaneous, fresh, a lot more interesting. Actually I violated my own directions on painting, back to front, large to small, general to specific. Well it was a good learning process and it makes me want to try again! Maybe a background only. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. For a first Photoshop painting attempt, it's not bad! There's a lot of fun color combinations in the skin tone which really add some visual interest. I agree with your painting direction; I think the method is still doable if you kept the figure and background on separate layers. Digital art is quite flexible that way if set up properly. The more I look at him, he kind of reminds me of Kratos from the videogame God of War... just more human-like and less red. :)

    I don't think it's the figure's stiffness that's the problem. It's more so that the figure doesn't feel like it's in the stage. If you're willing to rework it, there's a few things you can do to help the two merge better. The blue cloak could use some yellow(-green) to match the background. Since it looks like a lot of the light is coming from behind him, a rimlight or highlight around the figure would really include him in the environment. The color play (seen on his skin) could also be used in parts of the background as well. By adding elements between the two, they can begin relate.

    Anyway, keep it up, Lyla! Digital art is just like any other medium with quirks to get used to, but the basics, your direction, will always apply. Looking forward to more of your art! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen!!! I trust your powers of observations and I think that you are correct about adding some warm colors to the cape and adding more lighting directions. I will rework it, but later. I need to go on to something else for now.

    ReplyDelete